Spanish LaLiga, also known as La Liga Santander due to its sponsorship, is the top professional football league in Spain. It consists of 20 teams and operates on a promotion and relegation system with the Segunda División.
The league has a rich history and is widely regarded as one of the best football leagues in the world, with some of the most iconic teams such as Real Madrid, Barcelona, and Atletico Madrid competing for the title each season.
LaLiga is also known for its exceptional players, with some of the greatest footballers of all time such as Lionel Messi, Cristiano Ronaldo, and Diego Maradona having played in the league. The league is known for its fast-paced and technical football, attracting fans from all over the world.
Facts about LaLiga
- LaLiga was founded in 1929 and has been in operation for over 90 years.
- Real Madrid and Barcelona are the most successful teams in LaLiga history, having won a combined 67 titles between them.
- Lionel Messi is the all-time leading goal scorer in LaLiga, with over 450 goals.
- The El Clasico match between Real Madrid and Barcelona is one of the most watched football matches in the world and is a highlight of the LaLiga season.
- The LaLiga season typically runs from August to May, with each team playing 38 games.
- The league is home to many talented players from around the world, including current stars such as Luis Suarez, Karim Benzema, and Jan Oblak.
- LaLiga is known for its high-quality youth development programs, with many talented young players making their way up through the ranks of LaLiga teams.
- The league is broadcast in over 180 countries and has a global audience of millions of fans.
- In recent years, LaLiga has become known for its innovative digital initiatives and is at the forefront of using technology to enhance the fan experience.
- LaLiga is one of the richest football leagues in the world, with total revenues of over €4 billion in the 2019-2020 season.
The current champions are Real Madrid, who won the 2021–22 title.